Commonwealth Leadership Webinar SeriesJuly 2, 2020
CWEIC has launched a Commonwealth Leadership Webinar Series in order to equip members with the knowledge and tools to navigate this crisis. The series of webinars have been hosted with senior government and business leaders alongside industry experts. Through this extended period of uncertainty, CWEIC remains committed to providing our Strategic Partners with a network to support their businesses across the Commonwealth.
09 September, 2020 (09:20 – 10:30 BST) – A Conversation with Muhammad Yunus
A Conversation with Professor Muhammad Yunus, Nobel Prize winner, social entrepreneur, banker, economist and Founder of Grameen Bank.
27 July 2020: Commonwealth Clean Energy Conversation
This Webinar discussed the challenges, the investment opportunities and how the Commonwealth can be used as a platform to co-ordinate and share knowledge to advance the transition to green economies.
- Moderator: Samantha Cohen CVO, CEO CWEIC
- Magdalena Kouneva, Director General, REEEP
- Dr Tony Juniper CBE, Board Member, Cool Earth
- Richard Abel, Managing Director, UK Climate Investments LLP (Macquarie Group)
- Sheikh Fazle Fahim, President, Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industry
22 July 2020: A Global Right to Education for All: A Conversation with The Rt Hon Gordon Brown.
Gordon Brown is the United Nations Special Envoy for Global Education and former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
14 July 2020 – Focus on Nigeria: Africa’s Unrivalled Economic Powerhouse
CWEIC, supported by Novare Equity Partners convened a Focus on Nigeria: Africa’s Unrivalled Economic Powerhouse on Tuesday 14 July 2020, as a part of its ongoing Leadership Webinar Series. The Webinar was a focused discussion around the opportunities and issues facing Africa’s biggest economy and most populous nation, which is also one of the world’s largest oil producers.
- HE Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, Vice President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
- Hon Otunba Richard Adeniyi Adebayo, Minister of Trade & Investment, Nigeria
- James Duddridge MP, UK Minister for Africa
- Ms Yewande Sadiku, Executive Secretary/CEO, Nigerian Investment Promotion Commission
- Mr Derrick Roper, Managing Director, Novare Equity Partners
- Lord Marland, Chairman, CWEIC
- Olasupo Sashore SAN, Partner, Africa Law Practice
- Babatunde Soyoye, Managing Partner of Helios Investment Partners
09 July 2020: Focus on Rwanda – Recovery, Reset and the Road to CHOGM 2021
This webinar, in partnership with the Government of Rwanda, explored how Rwanda emerged as a model of excellence in its pandemic response, and how the Commonwealth’s newest member is contributing to Africa’s emergence as a global powerhouse in the post covid 19 global economic reset.
- Hon Soraya Hakuziyaremye, Minister of Trade, Rwanda
- Hon Clare Akamanzi, CEO, Rwanda Development Board
- Samantha Cohen CVO, Chief Executive, CWEIC
- HE Yamina Karitanyi, Rwanda’s High Commissioner to the UK
01 July 2020: Innovation in Fintech: The Opportunity for Corporate Liquidity & Growth
CWEIC launched our Commonwealth Leadership Webinar series with former UK Prime Minister the Rt Hon David Cameron, former Foreign Minister of Australia Julie Bishop, and industry experts, to explore how fintech innovations can assist established companies across the emerging and developed world support new products, strengthen their financial positions, and increase their capital base. Speakers included:
- Rt Hon David Cameron, Former Prime Minister, UK
- The Hon Julie Bishop, Former Foreign Minister, Australia
- Lex Greensill CBE, Founder, Greensill Capital
- Vuyani Jarana, Chairman of Mobax Group and Former CEO of South African Airways & Vodacom Business
- Razia Khan, Managing Director, Chief Economist, Africa and Middle East, Standard Chartered Bank
04 June 2020: The Commonwealth, Covid‐19 and the City’s Response; A Conversation with the Lord Mayor of London
We were delighted to invite CWEIC members for an interactive webinar discussion on The Commonwealth, Covid‐19 and the City’s Response, with Alderman William Russell, The Rt Hon the Lord Mayor of London, UK.
26 May 2020: Fintech and mobile payments: a game changer for financial inclusion post covid-19?
This insightful panel discussion brought together fintech leaders to discuss how developments in fintech and the necessity for such innovation will impact financial inclusion efforts. Panelists include:
- Lucy Demery, Global Head of Fintech Banking, Standard Chartered
- Albert Maasland, Chief Executive, Crown Agents Bank
- Michael Kent, Chairman, Azimo
- Myles Hagan, Head of Channels, Universal Merchant Bank
- Ashraf Sabry, CEO, Fawry
19 May 2020 – The Impact of Covid-19 on the Tourism Sector across the Commonwealth: Immediate Responses and Future Opportunities
This webinar, examined the future strategies available to the tourism and travel industry, including possible substitutes such as domestic travel for larger markets and the leveraging of the Commonwealth network for international coordination in support of the revival of the industry and future growth.
The impact of covid‐19 on tourism in Small Island States
- The Hon Julia Farrugia, Minister for Tourism, Malta
- His Excellency Mohammed Nasheed, Speaker, Maldives
- Mr David Dingle, Chairperson, Carnival Cruises
- Mr Butch Stewart, Chairman, Sandals Resorts
- Mr George Campanellas, Chief Executive, Invest Cyprus
The tourism industry’s response to covid‐19
- Hon Ali Waheed, Minister for Tourism, Maldives
- Dr Jyotsna Suri, Chairperson, Lalit Group
- Mr Sanath Ukwatte, President, The Hotels Association of Sri Lanka
- Mr Peter Fearnhead, CEO, African Parks
- Ms Anna Pritchard, Regional General Manager, UKEMEIA, Qantas Airways
14 May 2020 – Designing Appropriate Economic Policies after Covid-19 with Lord King
CWEIC were delighted to host Lord King of Lothbury, Former Governor of the Bank of England (2003 to 2013) and Chairman of the Monetary Policy Committee, for members-only interactive webinar session on “Radical Uncertainty” and designing appropriate economic policies after Covid-19.
07 May 2020 – The Healthcare Industry’s response to COVID-19: from PPE procurement to tech innovation.
This webinar explored the wide-ranging response of healthcare industries to Covid-19 and how businesses can support Governments in the response. Panelists included;
- Hon Chris Fearne, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Health, Malta
- Mohammed Amersi, Founder, Amersi Foundation
- Dr Emad El Dukair, CEO, InterHealth Canada
- Dr John Parry, Clinical Director, TPP
- Prof Vajira Dissanayake MBBS, Chairman, Commonwealth Centre for Digital Health
- Percy Asare Ansah, CEO, Premier Health Insurance
30 April 2020 – A discussion with Sir Lynton Crosby
CWEIC launched the first of its weekly Webinar series with Sir Lynton Crosby Founder of C|T Group providing an update to CWEIC members on the his latest COVID-19 research, giving unique insights into public opinions of government’s responses and the concerns, spending habits and expectations of consumers in the UK, US, Australia and India.